Ok, so ever since I've lived in America, I've gotten the occasional "Are you Hispanic" question. I hate that question, but people do ask. I've even gotten the occasional "Are you Indian?" question, where I look at them with a confused look and say no... I've also gotten many "What are you?" questions, where I give them a dumb look and say "uh, a person?!?!" But today I was asked the oddest question. This Asian girl was my cashier at Publix. She was ringing me up and this is our convo:
girl- "Are you Japanese?"
me- "um, no"
girl- "Chinese?"
me (very confused)- "nope"
girl- "Vietnamese?"
Ok so at this point I decide that although I hate admitting it, I'd tell her I'm Brazilian.
me- "I'm Brazilian."
girl- "Oh what was I thinking..."
So here's my question to you guys, I LOOK ASIAN?!?!?!
Saturday, December 15, 2007
What am I?
Posted by
Just the 5 of us
at
8:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
When people ask me where I am from I tell them that I am from here. They look at me like I am crazy. Then some people insist on knowing, so they ask what my originality is. I tell them I dunno. They get so mad.
Once a guy came up to me talking in Spanish and I looked at him like I had no idea what he was talking about. He got mad and I laughed! It was funny!
sometimes I am embarrassed by the ignorance of Americans. okay, often I am embarrassed by the ignorance of Americans. oh people!
I'm with Viv... it's none of their businnes... I really thought you were American.
You were just born in that hell hole... aside from that aren't you American?
I'm sure that girl would be really embarassed if you told her "I'm an American."
i have to tell you honestly, when i met viv, i asked her about her nationality, because i find people beautiful. God made people in so many shapes, sizes and colors, that i admire His creativity. when i see someone who doesn't look like the typical stereotype of whatever an american is supposed to be, i ask. i can't help it... to me, being different, is beautiful...
and NO, you don't look asian! :D
Post a Comment