Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Flashback- We're engaged!


M and I had been dating for 9 months when we got engaged.  Like I said in the earlier post, when we started dating, we both knew that this was it.  We knew we had to graduate college before we got married b/c we were 500 miles apart and neither of us had any intentions of switching schools.  We started dating Oct 2003 and I would graduate May 2005.  I knew I didn't want a long engagement, so I told M that I didn't want a proposal until late 2004/early 2005.  Then I eventually told him that I trusted that he would do what the Lord would have him do and to propose when he saw fit.  

I went home for the summer.  M planned a special date in my favorite city, 40 minutes from our hometown.  I had a feeling that he'd propose, b/c he "forbid" me from going to the city before out big date. lol  So we went.  And had a huge dinner.  I then thought, there was no way he'd propose b/c if he were nervous he wouldn't have eaten as much as he did. lol  Plus it was getting late.  After dinner, we
were headed home.. M stopped at the beach and said he wanted to go on a walk.. I complied.  While walking he stopped b/c he wanted to show me something.

What he showed me was the spot where he first prayed for me and felt God telling him that I would be his wife.  :)  He got on one knee and asked me to marry him.  The ring was gorgeous! He then told me the story of how he got my ring.  Some people would hate this, but I LOVED it.  So here it goes.

M's parents own a restaurant in town.  He worked as a waiter.  He had regular customers who knew he was saving for a ring.  These customers brought some friends to dinner one night and met M and found out he was saving for a ring.  The wife then took off one of her many rings and told him he could have it if he wanted.  Which he happily took.  What he got is a beautiful set of engagement ring and wedding band.  It's an antique in a beautiful setting.  I love it.  And it's always a reminder of how God takes care of everything, even little things like a ring. :)

0 comments: